As I sat at the beach on the first day of 2015 I felt real peace. As soon as I became aware of this unique feeling I tried to identify why. I had just been for a swim in the ocean followed by a walk with Archie the dog, and I was waiting for my husband to return from his run. The sea was calm but the sky was overcast and grey. No jet skis or boats were out yet. A slight breeze blew the sand dune grasses making the little cottontail grass heads flick back and forth happily. Archie sat quietly near me watching other people and their dogs. I felt happy but tired from dancing the night before until after midnight greeting the New Year at a local venue with some friends. 2014 had been a difficult year and many of the difficult hurdles were now behind me; completed with mixed results.
Last year I was inspired by the ladies on the Up For A Chat podcast to do some forward planning after listening to their episode #40 Manifesting Matisse. I followed their idea to write out a “wish-list” of 32 items on a single piece of paper that is divided into 32 squares (by folding the sheet of paper).
Here are my 32 items with the results at the end of the year – with only four actions that I did not start:
|1||Get a new job||Found a great job|
|2||Design a new house||House design completed|
|3||Sell parent’s house||Parent’s house sold and settled|
|4||Execute the Will||Will execution finalised|
|5||Drink no alcohol||Alcohol free period for 6 months|
|6||Paleo diet||Consistently trying|
|7||Eat no wheat||Ate less wheat|
|9||Exercise regularly||Regularly but not enough|
|10||Write my blog||20 blog posts|
|11||Create a new blog||Did not do|
|12||Build new house||Still waiting for planning approval to begin|
|13||Learn digital SLR photography||Started|
|14||Start writing a book||Did not do|
|15||Do yoga||Weekly sessions with gap mid-year|
|16||Meditate||Regular but not daily|
|17||Walk||Regular but not daily|
|18||Walk the Peninsula trails||Walked many of the Peninsula trails|
|19||Visit Peninsula art galleries||Visited some art galleries|
|20||Cycle every week||Cycled most fortnightly Saturday mornings|
|21||Read 20 books||Read 38 books|
|22||Garden new block||Obtained formal landscape plan for block|
|23||Learn French||Did not do|
|24||Paint||Did a few water colour sketches|
|25||Start sketch book||Started a sketch book|
|26||Whole 30||Did the Whole 30 eating program|
|27||Be positive||Consistently moved towards positive thoughts|
|28||Be kind||Consistently tried to be kind to everyone I met|
|29||Learn online||Did not undertake an online learning course|
|30||Go to ALIA conference||Yes|
|31||Write letters to friends||Yes|
Here is what didn’t go well:
- We continue to jump through hoops trying to comply with the ridiculously convoluted and slow planning process of the local Council in order to obtain permission to begin to build a new house.
- Our family relationships have deteriorated in the aftermath of my parent’s departure from this earthly plane; despite honourable intentions and repeated and prolonged efforts to make amends and be kind and positive.
- Dealing with the possessions of my parents was a huge undertaking that took time, energy, help from my brother and husband, and a respectful attitude.
Here is what went well:
- My parent’s house sold extremely quickly, making it easy to move on with our own lives.
- We moved into a new townhouse near the beach in a place we love.
- I have a perfect new job with great colleagues.
- Being involved with reading lists for book clubs.
- Our new house design is brilliant.
- Regular yoga and cycling.
- Time spent with some great friends – new and old.
- I continue to enjoy listening to some great podcasts here, and elsewhere that provides me with some important information and inspires me to keep on track with my efforts.
- My favourite movie of the year was Inter Stellar – a rare masterpiece in my opinion.
- I read some interesting books (here are the two I rated 5-star):
So I have once again taken a sheet of paper and folded it into 32 squares, then listed my 32 things, and pasted it into the back of my journal. So come what may 2015…