If there is one thing I learned from 2013 it is that not all plans are successful. Life sometimes takes over and the best laid plans with the right intentions need to be put aside.
But inspired by the ladies from the Up for a Chat podcast, and because I do believe in the power of intention and visualisation, here are some of the things I want to accomplish and/or work towards this year:
Once again inspired by Chris Guillebeau of The Art of Non-Conformity I look back over my experience of 2013. It was a really difficult and challenging year for me.
Here is what didn’t go well:
- On 23 January my mother passed away after a four year battle with cancer.
- Dad was alone for the first time in his life and grieved and this sat heavily on my mind.
- Dad was diagnosed with Mesothelioma at the end of July just prior to his 77 birthday.
- With family members I shared care responsibilities for Dad which meant a lot of organisation and travel to and fro.
- We sold our house and most of our possessions.
- We resigned from great jobs.
- We moved and left some great new-found friends.
- I went from being a fully employed professional to being a full time carer with no wage.
- Dad passed away on 16 December.
- The funeral for Dad was held on 20 December.
- Our annual family Christmas get-together was held on 22 December and was a horrible out-pouring of grief.
Here is what went well:
- I successfully completed the Master of Information Studies.
- I felt very appreciated, valued, and useful at work; able to put my skills and knowledge to good use in practical applications.
- I had a good time snow skiing at Mount Hotham in August.
- Our house sold extremely quickly – even before the Real Estate Agents had a chance to sign us up.
- Our move back to our old location was well supported by friends.
- I enjoyed listening to some great podcasts here, and elsewhere, that provided me with some important information and inspired me to keep on track with my efforts.
- I read some interesting books (here are the ones I rated 4 star):